6.08.2007

Badger / Cannondale Caffeine 29er head to head

Last week the Cannondale demo truck was working its way through the state. The ever welcoming and cheery Jason E. was manning the truck. I'd popped over to the trail and ended up taking Jeff B. on his maiden Burchfield loop. He selected a Rush for his tester and I took out C-Dale's 29er offering. Have to say that Lefty fork is sweet. The demo bikes have WIDE bars on them so that made things a bit unusual for me in the handling department. Shod with Nanos this bike flew. I rode the rock garden and more. It is a very nice riding bike. I was quite impressed. This rode and handled lighter than it lifted. The front end was easily brought up over things and the rear stayed hooked up.

Next loop it was back onto the Badger. This bike has a slightly shorter wheelbase (matches my 26" bike) and higher bottom bracket. These are nice advantages on a trail like Burchfield with its tight/twisty sections and logs. The Cannondale rolled that stuff wonderfully but I had to watch for catching the chain ring.

My body position is also better on the Badger (better weight distribution) and I'm more comfortable on it. Part spec is better too. The C-Dale 29er is an able ride in want of a couple of upgrades. But at the price point is one fine ride, a custom frame alone can surpass the cost of the trail-ready Cannondale. If I was shopping for my first 29er today, they'd get serious consideration. The ride of it was much nicer for me than the GF29er.

Thanks to Cannondale, Jason E. and Jeff B. for a fun ride. Props to Rob Pennell/Badger for the fine frameset he built me.

Next up; FS 29er review or Lumberjack 100 report. Check back!

1 comment:

Alicia said...

alright already - lets hear about the lumberjack - I'm posting my brains out - with no brains left - so post girly!!!