3.08.2008

Women in Cycling History


Alfonsina Morini Strada was the only woman ever to participate in the Giro d'Italia along with all the guys. The year: 1924. Alfonsina was as high as 41st place in the GC, in a race where the shortest stage was 250 km. Roads were unpaved, no cushy team support vehicles for the riders so they had to do their own repairs and take care of themselves.

A crash caused her to arrive outside the time limit on one stage so she was officially out of the race. But she was bringing so much attention to the race, that the officials allowed her (and some of the guys as well) to continue. She completed the Giro 38 hours back of first. Still, she made it. Many had abandoned during the race.

A more detailed history and other cool cycling history can be found at this blog.

A more recent standout in cycling history, Audrey McElmury, was the first US female to win the World Road Championships (Aug. 1969). A more complete listing of accomplishments of this Cycling Hall of Famer can be read here. There's also a nice "At the Back" article about her in the March 10 ('08) issue of VeloNews.

Nice bit of cycling history (since I'm tired of reading about the UCI/ASO/Pro Team arguments).

8 comments:

Chris said...

You forgot the most successful female racer of all time - Longo.

SpeedyChix said...

Longo is one kickin' rider and much more well known. I think she turns 50 later this year. Proving that age doesn't have to be a barrier!

Liz Schleeper said...

Good info. Imagine a woman in Giro. I watched Longo win the 96 Olympic crit in Atlanta.

Unknown said...

Longo is the crusher. That had to be an incredible race!

joseph said...

speedychix,

thanks for checking out my race report from cohutta. i've got a new blog buddy i guess. congrats to you by the way. i'll be looking for your write-up.

joseph

Unknown said...

I "raced" against Longo in the 2001[?] El Tour d Tuscon. Fortunalty its flat so I beat her! Any climb longer than 1k and she'd crush me! She is a Legend....but I digress - THANK YOU for discussing this woman in the GIRO! I stumbled here while Googling Eriksen as I have a 29er on order AND I'm a HUGE Giro fan [seen it 3 times] and will return again this summer for a GF over the Gavia & Motorolo. Enjoy MTBing in MI!

Unknown said...

Just browsing different bike blogs. I liked that story, I've been considering getting back into racing. Some of the woman from the Bike club I'm in are having a lot of fun at it. I think it's really cool to see the bar so high in woman's cycling, it inspires even guys like me to get goin : ) I'll add your spot to mine.
http://taxi777petesblog.blogspot.com/

SpeedyChix said...

Cliff,
Hope you enjoy your Eriksen 29er as much as I have. SUPER happy with how it rides/handles. Lots of fun.

Enjoy the Euro GF. Those look like a lot of fun.

Pete,
Riding/racing it's all so much fun. Part of what keeps us all going, eh?
I will add you to the blog roll. Thanks!

Looks like the Gladiators are off to a great start. I was in Marin mid-March. Some wonderful riding you have there!